Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Hiker falls off the cables on Half Dome, and dies.


A hiker has died after he slipped and fell from the Half Dome cables in Yosemite National Park, officials said Tuesday.
The male, who was not named, was hiking with another person during a thunderstorm when he fell at about 4:30 p.m. Monday, according to the National Park Service. Rangers recovered the hiker's body Tuesday afternoon.
So, the rock was wet, probably had a bit of glacial polish, and this guy wants to descend.  Either get off before it rains, stay until the rain stops and the rock dries, or be super careful on the way down.  You can see above how dangerous that walk up can be.
On the other hand, it's the first fatality since 2011.  The steepness and exposure tend to emphasize how seriously dangerous the hike really is, and people naturally are careful.

8 comments:

  1. Mt. Hood. Similar issues. The family of one, who died earlier this year is suing the rescue orgs that went to help the bastard. Modern culture is so F'd up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geronimo McSplatter.

    -Mya Guess

    ReplyDelete
  3. will he still get his participation ribbon????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya buys yer ticket and takes yer chances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being I'm almost 72, I decided or realized a long time ago I was mortal. I never could understand the fascination of risking your life for a thrill. Maybe it was the motorcycles when I was in the Navy in Florida and the many times I said to myself, "well, that almostt sucked". I feel for the parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way John. I almost got mortal door slammed shut back around 1982. Husband came home early.

      Delete
    2. And the sheriff said, "it could have been worse". Look it up, if you don't know it.

      Delete