Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Had grandpa been aware of this, he might have sold off more of his junk


For the record, I'm well on my way to collecting a similar stash - known to the family as the "pile of junk" - in my barn. Much of it I inherited from my dad, and some of it he from his.  Hopefully it will be just as epic when I kick it, but my kids can split it up and do whatever with it, but not draw it!


Talented artist Lee John Phillips has undertaken a project of epic proportions to celebrate the memory of his late grandfather. Phillips estimates that it will take him about 4-5 years to draw all 100,000+ items left behind in the shed by his grandfather, who passed away roughly 20 years ago. Everything from large tools to jars full of nails, nuts and bolts will be covered!
Phillips has been numbering each object in his meticulous project, and has drawn nearly 4,000 at this point.



4 comments:

  1. EVERY ONE of those tools has a specific purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old tools and I love the old guy at the hardware store that calls Channel-locs, water pump pliers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a treasure hunt. There's some incredibly cool stuff in there.

    Twenty years ago I was an apprentice cobbler, a shoe repairman. The man I worked for is an old family friend and third-generation cobbler. The shop we worked in had been his father's and there were many tool hanging on the walls and lying about that had been passed down from my friend's grandfather. I don't know what happened to all that when he closed the shop ten years ago but it should have gone to a museum.

    ReplyDelete