Sunday, May 24, 2015

A little bread baking

It's been a while since I baked some Shepherd's Bread, so when the wife asked if I could make some this afternoon, I felt it was time.  Besides, one can never miss the opportunity to use Doug the Wild Yeast.

The dark spots are dried cranberries.  The first rise out in the sun was good.


Fresh out of the oven.  Looking good.  When everyone gets home this evening we will bust it open and see if it passes the taste test.














The Recipe:


 I use a large cast iron dutch oven and it comes out perfect everytime.
  • 3 cups hot water
  • 2½ teaspoons salt
  • ½ cup butter or margarine or shortening
  • 1 (¼ ounce) package active dry yeast (2 packages if using a 12-inch Dutch oven)
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 9½ cups all-purpose flour
  • Combine water, butter, sugar and salt.
  • Stir until butter melts; let cool to warm.
  • Stir in yeast, cover and set in a warm place until bubbly.
  • Add 5 cups of flour and beat with a wooden spoon to form a thick batter.
  • Stir in enough of the remaining flour (about 3½ cups) to form a stiff dough.
  • Knead until smooth, about 10 minutes, add flour as needed.
  • Place dough in Dutch oven (well greased) and cover.
  • Set in a warm place to rise until doubled.
  • Punch down and knead on a floured board.
  • Return to Dutch oven and let rise until dough pushes up on the lid about ½ inch.
  • Bake covered with lid, in a 375°F oven for 12 minutes.
  • Remove lid and bake for 30-35 minutes or until loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.


8 comments:

  1. It has the look of Irish soda bread about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You up to posting the recipe/instructions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will when I get home from the office. It's not hard, it's just that you have to take some time and pay attention to it. Bread making is a good project for a lazy Sunday afternoon. Some people play golf,while I make bread with that time.

      Delete
    2. I suck at Golf, but love to cook. My Daughter is into baking, so I thought this might be a suitable project.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for putting the recipe up. I will give it a try, though I'm well known in these parts for making bread into bricks...sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Double the yeast, and let that bad boy rise, rise, rise, and you'll never have a brick again.

      Delete