Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Dutchman

Down in the mancave, we finally got the legs attached to the walnut round and thus as of now it's a functional table.

However, it has a couple of cracks, and I'm going to stabilize them with a Dutchman, or bow tie, insert.

Below, the two Dutchmen already cut and ready.  Now, I need to make a paper template, mark out the spots on the table, and fire up the router. I'll finish with chisels until the fit is as exact as I can make it.  Then, I'll refinish with some tough spar varnish.  Ahhh, the man cave.  The natural home of man stuff, like homemade tables, yard sale couches, and old family heirloom wood stoves.

 How professionals do it right. Hopefully my job will look half this good.




4 comments:

  1. That is a worthy project for a lazy, hazy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice table there, CW. There is something so special about a nice piece of wood isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is. This one was given to us by the father of one of the boy's friends, who was taking out some old walnut orchards up by Yuba City and kindly thought of us. I'm glad I could make good use of it

      Delete