Saturday, April 21, 2012

Ok, after working half a day, meeting with some college consultants, and doing a little yardwork, I got going in the black bean chili recipe I found the other day on Every Day Dutch Oven.

I deviated from the recipe by buying dry beans, so I had to soak them overnight and then simmer them for a while today. At the store, I couldn't find any Swiss Chard (man in the store, you know!), and settled for something called "Green Chard," which looks about the same.  Finally, I found some old cube steak that had been in the freezer since, I dunno, 1978?  I figured the boiling and such would serve to soften it up just right.

Well, I can tell you that things worked out quite well.   Even the 18 year old, who is notoriously finicky about her food, declared that it was "pretty good."



Above are the basic ingredients in the Dutch oven, ready to cook for a while.   Looks good right there, and the cumin and red pepper powder smelled flat out fine.  That always bodes well.


Just at the last moment, the green chard went in.  That turned out to be the proper timing, as it barely cooked them, and avoided the limp rag effect so easy with fresh greens like this.  I'd bet some beet greens would be outstanding as a substitute.



Add some sharp cheddar, and some sour cream, and you have a feast fit for a cold snowy day.... or even a nice spring day like today.  I declare this a success, and Lid Lifter says it is even better a day later when all the ingredients have had time to mix and simmer together!

Recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment